Data Analysis:Determine Molarity of Standardized Sodium Hydroxide Solution
A separate calculation is needed for each trial.
1. Calculate the moles of KHP present in the titration.
mass KHP, g
molar mass KHP, g/mol)
2. Relate the moles of KHP to the moles of NaOH added in the titration. Remember the
stoichiometry of the reaction is one mole KHP per one mole NaOH.
1 mol NaOH
1 mol KHP
= mole KHP
3. Determine the molarity of the sodium hydroxide solution by dividing the moles of NaOH
added in the titration by the volume of NaOH solution at the endpoint. Remember to
convert the volume of sodium hydroxide to liters.
(volume NaOH to reach endpoint, mL)
= mole NaOH
= molarity NaOH,
4. Calculate the average molarity for the sodium hydroxide solution. Remember to analyze
the molarity of individual trials for outliers before taking the average.
5. Determine the standard deviation (s) in the average molarity of the sodium hydroxide
solution. If only three trails were used to determine the average molarity there will only
be three terms in the numerator and the denominator will be (3-1).
(Mtrial 1 – Maverage)² + (Mtrial 2 − Maverage)² + (Mtrial 3 − Maverage)² + (Mtrial 4 — Maverage)²
4-1Determine Molar Mass of the Unknown Acid
A separate calculation is needed for each trial. The results of all trials should be averaged.
Outliers may be excluded from the average.
1. Calculate the moles of NaOH added in the titration.
(volume NaOH to reach endpoint, mL) T) (m
(1 mole acetic acid
In mole NaOH
2. Relate the moles of NaOH added in the titration to moles of Unknown acid where n = 2
for a diprotic acid and n = 3 for a triprotic acid.
(volume of Unknown acid, L) (concentration,
(moles Unknown acid)
3. Determine the molar mass of the Unknown acid solution by dividing the mass of the
sample of acid by the number of moles of acid at the endpoint of the titration.
Citric Acid monohydrate
Oxalic acid dihydrate
= mole Unknown acid
= mole NaOH
4. Identify the acid by comparing the experimentally determined molar mass of the Unknown
acid with the molar mass of the acids in the chart below.
= molar mass Unknown acid,
Molar Mass, g/mol
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more