Fundamentals of Aquatic Chemistry1. Analysis of river water revealed a pH of 5.00, a dissolved nickel concentration of 85 µg / L, and a dissolved
fulvic acid (FA) concentration of 8.0 mg / L. Functional group analysis using FT-IR and 13C NMR revealed that
the carboxyl group was the main functional group of dissolved fulvic acid. The carboxyl group concentration
CCOO- (mmol / g) determined by titration were found to be 5.0 mmol/g. Answer the following questions. The
following numerical values may be used if necessary. Atomic weight: Ni 58.70, Conditional stability constant
of Ni and FA (pH 5.0) Kf: 1.6 x 104
1) Obtain the complexation capacity CFA (µmol / L), assuming that all the functional groups of dissolved
fulvic acid are carboxyl groups.
2) If all the complexation capacity obtained in 1) are complexed with Ni, what is the Ni concentration (mg /
L) that is complexed?
3) When nickel and fulvic acid form a 1: 1 complex as follows, express the equation of the conditioned stability
constant Kf. Let the nickel-fulvic acid complex concentration be [NiFA], the total nickel concentration not
complexed with fulvic acid be [Ni’], and the total FA concentration not complexed with Ni be[FA’].
Ni + FA → NiFA
4) Calculate [NiFA] and [Ni’]. What percentage of nickel contained in this river water is complex with fulvic
acid? [FA’] can be considered to be equal to the complexation capacity.
2. Name the following compounds from the given structure
3. Draw the structures of the following compounds given their names:
(d) 1,5-Dipentanoic acid
4. Name the following structures, which are either important organic solvents/common ground-water
pollutants or disinfections byproducts:
5. The Kow of 1,2,4,-trichliribenzene is 104 (mol/L octanol)/(mol/L water), and the Henry’s law constant KH is
0.112 mol L-1 atm-1. If you have 1 L of water, 500 mL of octanol and 100 mL of air in a sealed flask, what
fraction of the 1,2,4-trichlorobenzene will be in the aqueous phase?
Note: (1) The mass of 1,2,4,-trichliribenzene in phase j is Mj = Cj × Vj, where C is concentration and V
is volume. Total 1,2,4,-trichliribenzene mass = ΣMj (2) Kow = Coct/Cwater. (3) KH =Cwater/P
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more