Assignment 1: Discussion—Web Sites Analyses
Over the past few modules, you have refined your critical reading and evaluation skills. In this assignment, you will apply those skills to analyze a list of Web sites. You will then need to identify parodies or hoax Web sites.
Remember that there are two types of analysis:
* Context Analysis: This is the analysis of the Web site. Examine the authors, dates, references, layout, etc. Look at the Web site address and domain. It will help you identify the strengths and weaknesses. Check if the Web site is an .edu or a .com. An “.edu” Web site is a top-level domain for education, and as of 2001, registrants to the .edu domain are required to be United States affiliated institutions of higher education. In contrast, a “.com” Web site is a top-level domain for commerce.
* Content Analysis: This is the analysis of the information on the Web site. Examine the bibliography, structure of argument, and frequent fallacies (i.e., appeal to ignorance, appeal to emotions, etc.). Look at the material to determine what is really being discussed. Use your critical reading skills here to analyze the quality of a Web site based on its structure, tone, and references.
Review the following list of Web sites, and identify which of them are legitimate and which are not. Complete the following tasks:
* Select one Web site from the following list:
* Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division. (2012, September 7). http://www.dhmo.org/
* Sims, P. (2009, July 4). Blind man sees wife for first time after having a TOOTH implanted into his eye. Mail Online. Retrieved from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197256/Blind-man-sees-wife-time-having-TOOTH-implanted-eye.html
* Slobogin, K. (2002, June 15). Liberated seahorse dads carry the babies. CNN.com. Retrieved from http://edition.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/06/14/seahorse.dads/index.html
* Evaluate both the context and the content of the selected Web site.
Based on your analysis, respond to the following:
* What are the strengths and weaknesses of the argument presented in the Web site?
* What is the argument all about?
Write your initial response in about 100–150 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Quote or paraphrase at least two outside sources in your answer.
Note that your response to this assignment will also be submitted as a piece of writing for M5: Assignment 2 for a review of your writing skills. Therefore, make sure your response to this assignment is logical, clear, and well organized. Also, proofread your response for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
By Saturday, September 30, 2017, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, October 4, 2017, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria
Evaluated both the content and context of selected Web site.
Summarized the argument.
Stated the strengths and weaknesses of the argument presented in the Web site.
Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Once you have chosen one Web site from the following list:
Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division. (2012, September 7). http://www.dhmo.org/
Sims, P. (2009, July 4). Blind man sees wife for first time after having a TOOTH implanted into his eye. Mail Online. Retrieved from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197256/Blind-man-sees-wife-time-having-TOOTH-implanted-eye.html
Slobogin, K. (2002, June 15). Liberated seahorse dads carry the babies. CNN.com. Retrieved from http://edition.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/06/14/seahorse.dads/index.html
Evaluate both the context and the content of the selected Web site.
Based on your analysis, respond to the following:
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the argument presented in the Web site?
What is the argument all about?
Assignment 2: Assignment Critique
In M5: Assignment 1 (Web Sites Analyses), you reviewed an article and posted your analysis of it to the Discussion Area.
In this assignment, do the following:
* Copy and paste your analysis from the Discussion Area of M5: Assignment 1 into a Word document.
* Submit it for content and grammar review by your instructor.
Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A2.doc.
By Week 5, Day 7, deliver your assignment to the M5: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Wrote the analysis using appropriate style and usage.
Applied relevant rules of grammar to the writing of analysis.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more